In My Mailbox (15) | Alexia's Books and Such: In My Mailbox (15)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, October 10, 2009

In My Mailbox (15)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. I'm trying to be good and reduce the number of new books I bring home each week, but didn't realize it would be so hard! *L*

This one was totally not my fault! I mean, between the Borders Bucks and the 40% off coupon, they practically gave me the book! And I've read such awesome things about City of Bones that honestly, how could I resist picking up a copy of my very own?



Picked this up at the library. Rapacia is the second book in the Circles of Heck series. Enjoyed the first book so much that I had to get the second one.
When Milton escapes from Heck in a soul balloon made of old clothes, Marlo is the only Fauster child left to take the blame. Bea “Elsa” Bubb, the Principal of Darkness, sends her straight to Rapacia, the circle where greedy kids are tormented by glimpses of a just-out-of-reach, glittering shopper’s paradise called Mallvana.

Meanwhile, back on the Surface, Milton has his own problems. He is determined to get in touch with Marlo and help her find a way out of Heck. But it’s hard to concentrate when his body and soul don’t seem to hold together the way they used to. Will Milton ever reach Marlo?



Won an ARC of Ash by Malinda Lo from J.Kaye's Book Blog. An interesting take on the old Cinderella fairy tale.
In the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.
Am really enjoying the new TV series FlashForward, so was excited to find out that another library had a copy and would send it over. I know that the book will be different than the show, but still want to read the original.
A science experiment that unwittingly shuts down all human consciousness for two minutes is the catalyst for a creative exploration of fate, free will and the nature of the universe in Sawyer's soul-searching new work (after Factoring Humanity). In April 2009, Lloyd and Theo, two scientists at the European Organization for Particle Physics (CERN), run an experiment that accidentally transports the world's consciousness 20 years into the future. When humanity reawakens a moment later, chaos rules.

Get anything good in your mailbox this week?

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some great books this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to read City of Bones. I definitely have to get this one.
    Great loot of books you've get there.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Ash, and City of Bones is really good too. I really need to check out Flashforward in some form, I didn't know it was a book first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read City of Bones from the books in your Mailbox. I really enjoyed this series, and i'm glad there will be a book 4 soon =)
    The Cover for Rapacia is interesting =P
    Have fun reading those =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good mailbox week! Mine wont be up until later today... I had a great week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of Rapacia - what a wonderful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want all of those books, except City of Bones which I already have. I put the Heck series on my Amazon wish list, Ash is already in my bookswim rental pool, but I didn't even know Flash Forward was a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. City of Bones is AMAZING. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CITY of bones is PRETTY much amazing!!! :-D Jace is so funny/
    -AMY

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to read City of Bones. Of course, my "I wanta read" list is so long, I'll probably never get to them all, but I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like some great books coming your way! That Ash sounds interesting. At first it kind of reminded me of "Ever After".. until they started mentioning the evil fairies. Hmmmm! :)

    Allison
    Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, man, I so want to read Ash! You have some great books lined up it seems! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like quite a line up of books you have. Ash looks really good, I am curious to see what you think.

    I wanted to let you know as well I have an award for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great haul this week! I need to read Ash, I've heard great things about it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to see how book 2 of the "Heck" series goes....looks like you've got some good reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just came from Melissa @ My World and wanted to say congratulatioions on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have some pretty good looking reads here. The Circles of Heck? LOL... I hadnt heard of these...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice - I hear City of Bones is better than Twilight, that Ash is great and has a twist and am looking forward to Flash Forward. My husband will be reviewing one of his books on my blog shortly.
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u