In My Mailbox (14) | Alexia's Books and Such...: In My Mailbox (14)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, October 4, 2009

In My Mailbox (14)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. I'm trying to cut back on book purchases and review copies, but sometimes a book really grabs my interest and I can't resist! But with only two this past week, think I'm improving! *L*



Received this review copy from Andy at Sellers Publishing, via an ad in the Shelf Awareness newsletter. This is the first book I've received via Shelf Awareness, so I'm really excited!


Discover the Secret of the Red Satin Ribbon . . .In How to Catch and Keep a Vampire: A Step-by-Step Guide to Loving the Bad and the Beautiful, author Diana Laurence explores the romantic fascination we mortals have for the undead. Why do perfectly normal people fall for such sinister beings? And more importantly, what should we do about it when we do? Diana Laurence knows. With loads of personal experience to draw upon, Laurence does everything from explaining the attraction to blood-drinkers, to sharing what red satin signifies to them. In this book, she has created a road map to show readers how a vampire relationship can be achieved and conducted in harmony with everyday existence.



Received The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel & Nancy Garfinkel from Caitlin at FSB Associates. I like stories like this, and am looking forward to reading it!

Lilly and Val are lifelong friends, united as much by their differences as by their similarities. Lilly, dramatic and confident, lives in the shadow of her beautiful, wayward mother and craves the attention of her distant, disapproving father. Val, shy and idealistic-and surprisingly ambitious-struggles with her desire to break free from her demanding housebound mother and a father whose dreams never seem to come true.

In childhood, "LillyPad" and "Valpal" vow to form an exclusive two-person club. Throughout the decades they write intimate letters in which they share hopes, fears, deepest secrets-and recipes, from Lilly's "Lovelorn Lasagna" to Valerie's "Forgiveness Tapenade." Readers can cook along as the girls travel through time, facing the challenges of independence; the joys and heartbreaks of first love; and the emotional complexities of family relationships, identity, mortality, and goals deferred.

But no matter what different paths they take or what misunderstandings threaten to break them apart, Lilly and Val always find their way back together through their Recipe Club . . . until the fateful day when an act of kindness becomes an unforgivable betrayal.

Now, decades later, while trying to recapture the trust they've lost, Lilly and Val reunite once more-only to uncover a shocking secret. Will it destroy their friendship, or bring them ever closer?



I also received my footrest from CSN for review. Have set it up, am using it, and plan on writing my review later this week. So far, so good!

8 comments:

  1. These books sound really good. I am interested to see what you think of How to Catch and Keep a Vampire. It sounds interesting to hear why people are so interested in the undead.

    I just got 3 books on Saturday in the mail and I am really excited about them. However, only one of them I plan on reading this month. The other 2 have gone into my tbr pile. This means I am serious about them if I purchased them. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a bunch of fun books this week! I just finished How to Catch and Keep a Vampire, and it was really fun. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to catch and keep a vampire looks a really fun read. Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to receive The Recipe Club as well. Can't wait to get it :) enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I just received that one too (How to Catch and Keep a Vampire). Looks fun, doesn't it? Can't wait to see your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you got a foot rest for review? how do i get in on that? :-) i rest my feet all the time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These both sound good. I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How to Catch and Keep a Vampire sounds like fun. I'd like to read that. Glad the foot rest is working out. My dd stays on the computer forever and rests her feet on the wall. (Unless I fuss at her.) She needs a footrest!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u