Book Review: Unbound anthology | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Unbound anthology

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Book Review: Unbound anthology

Mass Market Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Eos (August 25, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061699934
ISBN-13: 978-0061699931


Rating: 4/5
Source: Bookstore purchase


Book Blurb:
Not all hunters are bound by human laws . . .

Revisiting the paranormal realms they've made famous in their wildly popular fiction, New York Times bestselling authors Kim Harrison, Jeaniene Frost, Vicki Pettersson, and Jocelynn Drake—plus New York Times bestselling YA author Melissa Marr with her first adult supernatural thriller—unleash their full arsenal of dark talents, plunging us into the shadows where the supernatural stalk the unsuspecting . . . and every soul is a target.

Get ready for the ride of your life—because the wildest magic has just been unleashed . . . and evil is about to have its day.

My Review:
I love anthologies and short story collections! I think it's a great way to discover new authors, as well as get a quick taste of stories from some of my favorites. I try to make my "purse book" an anthology as they're easier than full length novels to read sporadically. They're also perfect for my lunch hour reads. This book was a little different for me as I'm already a big fan of all of these ladies, so no new authors to sample. But it is a great selection of stories, so I highly recommend it to all fantasy lovers!

The first story is Ley Line Drifter by Kim Harrison. It features Jenks, my favorite pixie investigator from the Rachel Morgan series. Jenks gets a case of his own, helping a pixie family because their children are being magically attacked by a statue. Was nice to see Jenks and Bis, the teenage gargoyle, again. Rachel doesn't make an appearance, but Ivy has a cameo. Jenks handles things really well, and I think it did both Jenks and Bis good to spread their wings a little and act independently.

The next story is Reckoning by Jeaniene Frost. Good story about vampire bounty hunter Bones tracking two undead serial killers in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Always nice to see Bones again.

Dark Matters by Vicki Pettersson is the third story presented. It involves the agents of Light from her Signs of the Zodiac series, but before Joanna came into the picture. I really enjoyed it, but the ending took me a little by surprise. I didn't see it coming, but it made sense so I liked it!

Next up is The Dead, The Damned, and the Forgotten by Jocelynn Drake. This one features Mira, from her Dark Days series. I haven't read the series yet, but have several of the books in my TBR pile. A nice introduction to Mira and her world, involving the murder of a nightwalker in her territory. If Mira can't solve the murder, she may lose her territory and be sent back to the Council. Another good story!

Last but not least is Two Lines by Melissa Marr. Liked this one, but could have used a little more background as I'm totally unfamiliar with glaistigs. Eavan does not want to become a full glaistig, which apparently involves both murder and sex. Think those are the two lines that she does not want to cross, but it's getting harder and harder for her to resist. There is a sexy bad guy and an equally appealing good guy, as well as family pressure to just get on with it already. Not bad, but there was that confusion over glaistigs, which dampened my enjoyment a little.

All in all I'd say that this was a good collection of urban fantasy, so I gave it 4 out of 5.



Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I love anthology's too, and this seems worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm sad to hear that you didn't like the Melissa Marr story. She's the only author I'm really familiar with in this anthology. I'll still read it though. I love anthologies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like anthologies too. Especially when I just want a quick read.
    Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u