Book Review: Rampant by Diana Peterfreund | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, October 23, 2009

Book Review: Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen (August 25, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061490008
ISBN-13: 978-0061490002

Rating: 5/5
Source: Library

Book Blurb:
Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns . . .

Real unicorns are venomous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. Fortunately, they've been extinct for a hundred and fifty years. Or not.

Astrid had always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend - thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to the prom - Astrid finds herself headed to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries.

However, at the cloisters all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from the crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to - perhaps most dangerously of all - her growing attraction to a handsome art student . . . an attraction that could jeopardize everything.

My Review:
Had heard about this book on various blogs, but my initial thought was: killer unicorns? Yeah, right! But people kept raving about it, so decided to take a look. The first page had me hooked, and I stayed up much too late to finish reading it! This is one of my favorite types of books, in that it grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go!

Astrid is the main character, who grew up thinking her mother was more than a little crazy because she insisted that they were descendants of unicorn hunters. Then one night her new boyfriend is attacked by a unicorn! Before she knows it, Astrid is shipped off to Rome to begin her training as a unicorn hunter. Unfortunately, the training turns out to be trial & error as the order was disbanded way back when the unicorns were thought to be extinct, and it's left to a bunch of teenagers (and one young man) to try to figure things out.

While the idea of killer unicorns and virgin hunters may be a little out there, Diana does a great job of making it all seem entirely possible. It doesn't hurt that Astrid is a skeptic as well, and we come to terms with the situation together.

All in all, this was a great read and I recommend that everyone give it a chance. Had an interesting well-paced plot, good writing, and believable characters. Plus, I adored Bonegrinder, the baby unicorn! Gave it my highest rating as I didn't want to put it down despite having to work the next day.

Learn more about killer unicorns at http://www.killerunicorns.org/

14 comments:

  1. This is not a book I was familiar with until now. Sounds like a great read and I may have to see for myself. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have seen this title around and really found the idea awesome! I do have this one on my wish list for Christmas, so I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for a wonderful review, Alexia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan & Krista - Thanks! I think you both would enjoy this one, as it's one of the most original stories I've read in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you were - killer unicorns and virgin hunters? I'll have to take a look at the book and see if it grabs me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bermudaonion - Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people say this one is good but it has killer unicorns? I will probably read cuz I want to know what all the fuss is about.LOL
    Great review hon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Susi! The whole idea of killer unicorns reminds me a little of the killer rabbits from Monty Python! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one on my wishlist, the idea of killer unicorns grabs my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna - The idea of killer unicorns is a little attention grabbing, isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been interested in reading this one, but haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet. But great review and the book sounds great, especially the baby unicorn! I'll be following for future great reviews, since it seems like we have the same tastes. Great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn - Thank you! So happy to find another reader with similiar taste in books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you have done it again. This book has made the ever growing list. I am starting to think I am not going to get all these books read. This sounds really good. I was a little unsure about the killer unicorns, but it does sound really good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome review. Who ever thought? Killer unicorns..hmm...will definitely be looking into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa - If it makes you feel any better, my wishlist is out of control as well! *L*

    Okbo - Thanks! For some reason, the killer unicorns reminded me of the killer rabbits from Monty Python! But only at first, as most of them are evil!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u