Book Review: Huntress (anthology) | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Huntress (anthology)

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, October 19, 2009

Book Review: Huntress (anthology)

Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks; 1 edition (June 30, 2009) Language: English
ISBN-10: 0312943822
ISBN-13: 978-0312943820

Rating: 4/5
Source: Personal collection


Book Blurb:
It takes a real man to satisfy the powers and passions of the HUNTRESS

My Review:
Think I've mentioned before how much I love anthologies. I've discovered several new authors this way, and don't feel cheated if I don't like a particular author, as there's several more to choose from.

The first story in this collection is The Devil's Bargain by Christine Warren. Lilli Corbin made a deal with a devil and all she has to do to finally fulfill the bargain is retrieve an old book. Too bad it's a book of prophecies that will bring about the Apocalypse. This story was just okay for me, and my least favorite. Didn't really warm up to either Lilli or Aaron, the current owner of the book. And while this book is classified as a romance, I thought the sex scene was a little unnecessary.

Next up is The Robber Bride by Marjorie M. Liu. Maggie runs a junkyard in a post-apocalyptic world, on the outskirts of a small settlement of other survivors. Maggie's world is turned upside down when a strange gang of bikers invade her town and make off with several of her neighbors. Concerned for an old friend when she sees one of the bikers with Trace's necklace, she sets off in pursuit. Think this was my second favorite story, as it had interesting characters with a good plot. Loved the twist towards the end, and think Maggie deserves to have a full length novel of her very own!

Third story is Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go by Caitlin Kittredge. This one features Jack Winter, the bad boy mage we all know and love. Jack is tricked into helping a sexy demon slayer seek revenge against a demon in the underworld. While I usually like Jack, I didn't really care for this story. Couldn't really get into it, and wasn't really invested in the outcome.

Last but not least is the final story, Sin Slayer by Jenna Maclaine. Think this one was my favorite and I'm looking forward to reading more by Jenna, as she's a new discovery for me. Cin Craven is a vampire witch and a member of The Righteous, a group of vampires who police the vampire world and answer to no one but the High King. Jack the Ripper has started targeting vampires, and it's up to Cin to stop him. And oh yeah, Jack just happens to be a demon who's possessed Cin's husband, Michael. This was a great story with all the action you could possibly want, plus well developed characters that left you wanting more! Very happy to discover that Cin has her own series, as I'm now a fan!

Gave this collection a 4 out of 5, as thought that two of the stories were really, really good, and the remaining two were okay. Definitely worth buying!

9 comments:

  1. The last story in the anthology sounds interesting. Jack the Ripper meets a vampire has all kinds of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to read this one for a while. It sounds really good. Great review Alexia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great review. I don't really read Anthologies for some reason, I suppose I just never got around to looking through them although I'm sure there's plenty of great stories within them! glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one in my tbr pile. I have a few books before it to read. Thanks for the review. I was hoping Jack's story would be better. This is the Jack from Street Magic right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I WANT to read this one! And even more so after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as I prefer not to read short stories, I'm not a fan of anthologies either but thanks for this review. The cover of the book was a bit raunchy wasn't it, or was that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not really a reader of the usual classified 'romance' books, but definitely enjoyed the review! Of the short stories listed, I can see why you enjoyed the last one most! Were I to read this one, I'd probably pick that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one on my wishlist and hope to get it soon. Sometimes I just feel like I need more time, oh and more money. Great review hon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this until your review, but it sounds really interesting. I'll definitely add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u