Book Review: How To Catch & Keep A Vampire by Diana Laurence | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: How To Catch & Keep A Vampire by Diana Laurence

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Review: How To Catch & Keep A Vampire by Diana Laurence

Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Sellers Publishing Inc. (August 28, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1416205527
ISBN-13: 978-1416205524
Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.4 x 0.6 inches

Rating: 4/5

Source: Andy at Sellers Publishing, via an ad in the Shelf Awareness newsletter



Book Blurb:
Who needs a book on dating a vampire? Well, Bella Swan and Sookie Stackhouse to name just two. They are fortunate to have vampire boyfriends. But what the heroines of Twilight and True Blood don't have and could use is some advice on getting along with them. Everything they and every other red-blooded American girl (and guy) wants to know about finding a dreamy blood-drinker and keeping him is within How to Catch and Keep a Vampire: A Step-by-Step Guide to Loving The Bad and the Beautiful. And who better to introduce mortal readers to the world of dating a 21st century vampire than a few mouth-watering immortals? The cast includes: Ethan, with his aquamarine eyes and supernaturally seductive piano playing. Mordred, classically cruel, dark, and handsome, with a thing for black leather gloves. His entrancingly cute carrot-topped friend Adam, as sweet as Mordred is scary. Gunnar, with his rich, golden hair, and dastardly but delightful knack for getting his way. The experienced and fascinating Colin, with his exquisite latte-colored skin and exotic beauty. The eccentric but gorgeous Aidan, purveyor of ancient magic. And enigmatic Conner, with his deep, dark eyes and protective soul. These undead charmers will win the hearts and minds of readers everywhere, and author Diana Laurence will be their expert guide.

My Review:
This was a very funny book that somehow managed to straddle the line between serious dating guide and parody. Diana did a great job of presenting the realities of dating a vampire in a no-nonsence, practical method without ever veering into pure silliness. Inserting various 'case studies' from fellow vampirophiles of possible pitfalls was a nice touch, and I especially liked the FAQs at the end of each chapter.

Think my favorite part of the book was the list of Top Ten Vampire Pickup Lines. I mean, really...what vampirophile could resist lines like Your irresistible loveliness called to me from across this Jiffy Lube waiting room or I can be your Lestat, your Edward, your Bill...only better?

All in all, this was a fast, enjoyable, humorous read that I would recommend to any and all paranormal lovers out there. Gave it a 4 out of 5.


Buy it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble, and be sure to check out the author's website at http://www.dianalaurence.com/!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this was a quick read. Well, only 160 pages, right? Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I am going to have to look into this one too.

    I also wanted to let you know I have a few awards for you.
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexi, just visiting from Melissa's where I too received an award. I always think they are such a nice thing to pass on as it's a lovely way of meeting other bloggers.
    I've enjoyed looking round your site, you certainly have reviewed a wide range of books. Congratulations on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Received a copy through the same means....it's next on my to-read pile (it's shorter than the TBR pile). Gotta love the pick-up lines...so dramatic yet fitting. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly a fun book to read! I feel very prepared for any handsome vampires that come my way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alexia - I came here from Petty Witter's blog where she posted about a discussion on my blog. Thank you for joining in. I hope you visit my blog and comment there. I wasn't actually writing about the impact on authors, who receive an advance from the publisher. I was posting about the plight of publishers who need to recoup their expenses and make a profit so they can continue publishing books. Please visit my blog and leave a comment. Your contribution to the discussion would be valued. By the way, I think publishers and bookstores take a hit when books are sold at a reduced price. All the 3 for 2 offers and the like are slashing bookshops' profits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexi, thanks for visiting me over at Pen And Paper, please feel free to call again.

    This sounds like a very qurky book. Once-upon-a-time I would have said not my type of read but since reading the Twilight series I'm much more open minded and in any case it may come in helpful if ever I have to advise any young person on the do's and do not's of dating a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have to try this! I love a good fun fast book, great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u