Book Review: The Child Thief by Brom | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: The Child Thief by Brom

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, October 9, 2009

Book Review: The Child Thief by Brom

Hardcover: 496 pages
Publisher: Eos (August 25, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061671339
ISBN-13: 978-0061671333

Rating: 5/5
Source: Library

Book Blurb:
Peter is quick, daring, and full of mischief - and like all boys, he loves to play, though his games often end in blood. His eyes are sparkling gold, and when he graces you with his smile you are his friend for life. He appears to lonely, lost children - the broken, hopeless, and sexually abused - promising to take them to a secret place of great adventure, where magic is alive, and you never grow old. But his promised land is not Neverland. . .

My Review:
This is not only one of the longest books I've read recently, but also one of the most anticipated. I was lusting after this book and really did my best to get my hands on an ARC, but had to settle for borrowing it from the library. Was worried that it might let me down as I was looking forward to it so much, but am happy to report that it was just as good as described! So good that I'm going to buy my own copy, which I rarely do with library reads.

The Child Thief is Peter, a wild child who found refuge on the mythical island of Avalon. Found it interesting that Brom combined the Peter Pan myth with Arthurian legend. Variations of the Lost Boys, Captain Hook, and The Lady of the Lake show up, but in a much darker format. Pretty sure that this book is destined to become a classic, as the story is just that good! Brom is an extremely talented storyteller as well as being a gifted artist.

During this story, we learn Peter's history as well as follow his struggle to "save" lost children. We also join him on his quest to serve his Lady, try to save Avalon, and defeat Avalon's enemies. Any more details would probably contain spoilers, so I'll leave it at this: Read this book and you will not be disappointed! Gave it a 5 out of 5, as I found the book totally captivating! Go! Now! Get yourself a copy! *L*

Buy it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble

7 comments:

  1. Good job on the review! I just saw this one yesterday at the store and once again, the cover drew my attention. Didn't have time to see what it was about though....may be a little too sci-fi for me, but then again maybe not. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound good. I'm going to look for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds great! I will definitely have to see about getting this one. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Alexia! I saw this in the bookstore the other day and I was aghast at its doorstop proportions! It's a good thing that you found this book very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this book but not heard to much about it. Don't ask me how I haven't heard anything.

    I am most definitely putting this on my list to go get. I think I have a few books in line here to read, but this one is being added to the list to pick up in the future.

    Great Review! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great looking read! I love the cover and your review....

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u