Book Review: Road Trip of the Living Dead by Mark Henry | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Road Trip of the Living Dead by Mark Henry

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Book Review: Road Trip of the Living Dead by Mark Henry

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Kensington (March 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0758225245
ISBN-13: 978-0758225245

Rating: 3/5
Source: Library

Book Blurb:
Celebrity party girl Amanda Feral is back from the dead, and hungrier than ever for a good time. With her zombie gal pal Wendy and vampy gay sidekick Gil, this stone cold fox is dressed to kill, on the prowl, and ready to take a big juicy bite out of Seattle's supernatural nightlife.

My Review:
This was a fun, fast read by an author I really enjoy. But....I had a major issue with the author's overuse of footnotes. Mark made such liberal use of footnotes in order to make sarcastic comments that it sort of ruined the story for me. One or two might have been funny, but he used so many that they became majorly annoying. Do we really need a biting comment on practically every page?

Amanda was fun in the first book, Happy Hour of the Damned, but not quite as amusing in this one. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but she seemed too snarky this time around . Things struck me as more forced between her, Wendy, and Gil, and their interaction didn't flow as smoothly.

Still a fun read, but not as much fun as expected. Gave it a 3 out of 5 as I felt it was just okay.

Buy it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book myself, it's doing the rounds amongst my friends so I'll just have to wait my turn. Funnily enough, each and everyone of them who has read it made the same comments as you about the overuse of the footnotes - obviously a common dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, but I think I might pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The overuse of footnotes ruins a book for me too. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as the author got carried away with himself on the footnotes. Oh well, next one will be better. Do you know if there is going to be more to this series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping that Mark will lay off the footnotes for the next book, and maybe tone down the snarkiness as well.

    Melissa - not sure how many books are planned for the series, but do know that there's at least one more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am having a hard time grasping a novel about a zombie as a main character. Aren't they supposed to be brain dead? I guess that would probably interest me to READ a zombie-focused novel.

    Sorry about the footnotes. I don't think they should be used unless it's a scholarly piece!

    Allison
    Well-Read Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison - Mark explains that there are actually two types of zombies. The brain-dead zombies we're used to seeing in horror movies are called "mistakes". Amanda and Wendy are their normal selves with the exception that they need to eat human flesh. Makes better sense the way he describes it. *L*

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2017 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u