Book Review: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Review: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Book Review:  Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey | Alexia's Books and Such Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Eos (July 21, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0061714305
ISBN-13: 978-0061714306

Rating 4/5
Source: LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Book Blurb:Supernatural fantasy has a new antihero

Life sucks, and then you die. Or, if you're James Stark, you spend eleven years in Hell as a hitman before finally escaping, only to land back in the hell-on-earth that is Los Angeles.

Now Stark's back, and ready for revenge. And absolution, and maybe even love. But when his first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than you'd expect, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Resurrection sucks. Saving the world is worse.


My Review:
It may have been the cover or it may have been the description of the main character Stark, but while reading this book I felt a little film noir vibe going on. Was a nice touch and gave the story some flavor.

Stark was a cocky young magician who was betrayed and sent to hell by jealous fellow magicians. After managing to survive eleven long years, first as a sideshow attraction and then as a hitman, he manages to escape and returns to LA with revenge on his mind. After surviving the demons of hell, LA should be a cakewalk.

He wants revenge not just for sending him to hell, but also for the murder of his girlfriend. With a little help from new friends and old, Stark tracks down his old magician "friends" and gets to work. But no matter how much of a bad guy he believes he is, Stark can't seem to help doing a good deed every now and then. He's one of those heroes who does the right thing for maybe the wrong reasons, but still saves the day.

Read this book in one day, which is unbelievably fast for me. But it was so good that I couldn't wait to see what happened next! It's got dark humor, which I love, and is a little gritty. Be warned that Stark doesn't think much of angels or demons and lets them know it, so if you're easily offended, then this book isn't for you. Would love to see this turned into a series, as I'd like to see Stark again. Gave this book 4 stars as it was well written, fast paced, and darkly humorous.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds dark, and actually reminds me a touch of "The Crow", coming back from the dead to avenge slain girlfriend/fiancee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds a little grim for me. I'm in the mood for something upbeat, yet have a stack of dark books to read and review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bookclub I join in on was thinking about doing this book for a discussion. I think we should highly consider it now due to this review! Awesome, thanks!

    Also there's an award for you on my blog! http://carmen-krista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alexia! I wasn't sure about this book. Like Krista the book club was featuring this book and I just wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. Your review has shed some light on the book and I too think I may like this book. To my list I go...

    Also, stop over at my blog to pick up your award.
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review. I have this added to my list as well, now i need to try getting my hands on the book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you liked it! I've been thinking about picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u