I know, I know ....another reading challenge! I'm totally blaming this one on Sheila at One Person's Journey Through a World of Books! She made me cave! *L* But like she said, it looks like a fun challenge. And how hard could it be to read 12 random books when they are probably books I'd be reading anyway. So it isnt really going to be all that difficult, right? Right?
This challenge is hosted by Caribousmom, and here's the scoop:
August 1, 2009 – July 31, 2010
Are you stuck in a rut? Do you always find yourself reading from set lists or feeling committed to reading one book while another book screams at you from your TBR mountain? Has your reading become completely scheduled? If so, the Random Reading Challenge may be just the thing to put the spontaneity back into your reading.
For this challenge, readers will be choosing books randomly from their TBR stacks. You may select one of three levels of participation:
You are just a tad compulsive about your reading – you love your lists and schedules. Being spontaneous is not something that comes naturally to you. To complete the challenge, force yourself out of your rut and read just six books.
You really want to break away from all those lists, but you do still have a responsibility to your reading groups, other challenges, and all those review books. Six books is too little, but twelve is too much. Stretch a little and read nine books for the challenge.
Throw away the lists, don’t look at your schedule, bring on the joy that comes with the freedom to chose books randomly. Read twelve books for the challenge.
Rules (come on, you didn’t think it would be THAT random did you?!?!?):
1. NO lists allowed. Books for the challenge are chosen one at a time when the mood strikes.
2. Sign up at any time during the challenge period using Mr. Linky. Please give a direct link to your blog post about the challenge. If you do not have a blog, no worries. Simply enter your name and leave the URL box in the Mr. Linky blank.
3. Book reviews are not required, but if you want to write a review, a review Mr. Linky will be provided after August 1st.
4. Books are selected one at a time using the following procedure:
- Randomly select any number of books from either your physical OR your virtual TBR pile (don’t care how you do this, but it must be random…no “cherry picking” allowed)
- Assign a number to each book based on how many books you selected (ie: if you selected 14 books, assign each book a number from 1 through 14; if you selected 28 books, assign each book a number from 1 through 28…you get the idea)
- Go to www.random.org and use the TRUE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR located in the upper right hand corner of the page to randomly select the book you will read. NO CHEATING – whatever the random number generator generates is the book you must read!
- Each time you select a book for the challenge, you will use this procedure. You many select different books each time, choose a different amount of books each time, etc…have fun, mix it up, keep it random.
I'm going for the Level III Challenge. While reviewing the books is not mandatory, I'll post reviews and use the Random Reading Challenge Meme to mark and number them. This way I can combine this challenge with others (multi-tasking!).
Here is my list of completed books for the challenge:
1. Defenders of the Scroll