Friday, July 3, 2009

Library Finds

Here are the library books I currently have on my TBR shelf. I love my local library! Although I think I may be going a little too often lately...when I walked in the door the other night, the librarian saw me, walked over to the hold shelf, and had my books waiting for me by the time I walked up to the counter! *L*


Lover AvenLover Avenged : a novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhoodged : a novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood novels have introduced readers to a "different, creative, dark, violent, and flat-out amazing" (All About Romance) world. Now, as the vampire warriors defend their race against their slayers, one male's loyalty to the Brotherhood will be tested—and his dangerous mixed blood revealed...

Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood—even though his sister is married to a member, for he harbors a deadly secret that could make him a huge liability in their war against the lessers. As plots within and outside of the Brotherhood threaten to reveal the truth about Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world, Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him—and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.


The comThe complete idiot's guide to the ultimate reading listplete idiot's guide to the ultimate reading listThis is a guide to help busy people find great reads in fiction and non-fiction. Filled with recommendations of popular, entertaining reading, this book covers mystery and suspense, romance, women's fiction and chick lit, westerns, science fiction, such nonfiction topics as animals, art, biography, memoirs, business, true crime, and more. Plus, each entry includes a summary of the book, its significance, and a critique/observation/comment.



The straThe strain by Guillermo del Toroin by Guillermo del Toro
The visionary creator of the Academy Award-winning Pan's Labyrinth and a Hammett Award-winning author bring their imaginations to this bold, epic novel about a horrifying battle between man and vampire that threatens all humanity. It is the first installment in a thrilling trilogy and an extraordinary international publishing event.

The Strain. They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come.

In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months - the world.


The storyThe story sisters by Alice Hoffman sisters by Alice Hoffman
Alice Hoffman’s previous novel, The Third Angel, was hailed as "an unforgettable portrait of the depth of true love" (USA Today), "stunning" (Jodi Picoult), and "spellbinding" (Miami Herald). Her new novel, The Story Sisters, charts the lives of three sisters–Elv, Claire, and Meg. Each has a fate she must meet alone: one on a country road, one in the streets of Paris, and one in the corridors of her own imagination. Inhabiting their world are a charismatic man who cannot tell the truth, a neighbor who is not who he appears to be, a clumsy boy in Paris who falls in love and stays there, a detective who finds his heart’s desire, and a demon who will not let go.

What does a mother do when one of her children goes astray? How does she save one daughter without sacrificing the others? How deep can love go, and how far can it take you? These are the questions this luminous novel asks.

At once a coming-of-age tale, a family saga, and a love story of erotic longing, The Story Sisters sifts through the miraculous and the mundane as the girls become women and their choices haunt them, change them and, finally, redeem them. It confirms Alice Hoffman’s reputation as "a writer whose keen ear for the measure struck by the beat of the human heart is unparalleled" (The Chicago Tribune).


Look Look again by Lisa Scottolineagain by Lisa Scottoline
When reporter Ellen Gleeson gets a “Have You Seen This Child?” flyer in the mail, she almost throws it away. But something about it makes her look again, and her heart stops—the child in the photo is identical to her adopted son, Will. Her every instinct tells her to deny the similarity between the boys, because she knows her adoption was lawful. But she’s a journalist and won’t be able to stop thinking about the photo until she figures out the truth. And she can’t shake the question: if Will rightfully belongs to someone else, should she keep him or give him up? She investigates, uncovering clues no one was meant to discover, and when she digs too deep, she risks losing her own life—and that of the son she loves.

6 comments:

  1. i had The Story Sisters but had to return it unread. hope to get it again soon; enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to do that as well....sometimes all of my library requests turn up at the same time and I can't get to them all, so have to return some unread. Hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would like the Lover Avenged book, but I know there would be no hope of ever finding that at our small town library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhhhh!!! you got the Strain!!!!! I have that on hold and am going to pick it up this week :) you got awesome finds too! it's strange how we get such great stuff at the library!

    btw, I gave you an award, just check my latest blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ultimate Reading List... I love those type of books. I like to go through them and get a package of those little gold stars and star the ones I hope to read.

    I will never live long enough to read everything I want to read... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ultimate Reading List is killing me! I've found over 40 books to add to my wishlist, and I'm only halfway thru the book! Where I'm going to find the time to read all these new titles, I don't know. Like they say: So many books, so little time! *L*

    ReplyDelete