Book Review: Stray by Rachel Vincent | Alexia's Books and Such...: Book Review: Stray by Rachel Vincent

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Review: Stray by Rachel Vincent

Book Review: Stray by Rachel VincentMass Market Paperback: 624 pages
Publisher: Mira (June 1, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0778324214
ISBN-13: 978-0778324218



From the Publisher:
I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays - werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back…for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever - and whoever - I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays - 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them.…

My Review:

This is the first book in Rachel's werecat series, and a bookseller recommended that I read them in order when I was picking up Prey. I can understand her reasoning, as this book introduces Faythe's history and the main players, while still standing alone as a good story.

Faythe is the only girl in her family, which is normal for werecats, but it puts a lot of pressure on her to conform to the expected role of tabbies. She is expected to get married to the future Alpha and start having babies, ensuring the future of the Pride (similar to a pack). Faythe would rather be her own woman and doesn't like being pushed around. I liked her independence, but kept questioning why her parents didn't instill in her a healthy dose of responsibility along with encouraging her independence? Every Pride only has one tabby and if that tabby doesn't get married and produce offspring, then the Pride has no heirs and their territory will be lost. So Faythe comes off a little selfish for trying to avoid her responsibilities and her parents come off a little weak for letting her get away with it, but that was my only quibble with the book.

I really enjoyed that Faythe was a believable character, who kept getting herself into trouble by being unable to keep her mouth shut. Been there, done that! There were plenty of humorous elements in the book, but it never dissolved into slapstick or parody.

The main plot revolves around who, how, and why the single tabbies are being abducted. It's an interesting and believable storyline, and the ending was very satisfying. Faythe grows up a little by the end of the book, and Rachel sets things up nicely for the next one. Looking forward to discovering more about Faythe, Marc, Jace, and the rest of the boys! I highly recommend this series, and gave it 4 out of 5 stars!


3 comments:

  1. That has been my quibble with books in this genre. The characters often seem to be a little selfish or sometimes just downright goofy.
    It sounds interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It's one of my favorite series, and in my opinion it only gets better the more you read. I haven't had a chance to read Prey yet, but I'm very excited too. It should be popping up on my wishlist over at PBS any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this series now. I thought it was one of those same ones you see all over the place but changing into a werecat!!!! why that's so cool! I wanna be a kitty too :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u