Book Review: Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich | Alexia's Books and Such: Book Review: Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Friday, July 17, 2009

Book Review: Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich

Book Review: Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet EvanovichHardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (June 23, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0312383282
ISBN-13: 978-0312383282


Publishers Weekly: Bestseller Evanovich recycles tired themes better executed in earlier adventures in her latest Stephanie Plum adventure (Fearless Fourteen, etc.). When Lula inadvertently witnesses the beheading of culinary TV star Stanley Chipotle in a Trenton, N.J., alley, Stephanie's on-again off-again boyfriend, cop Joe Morelli, reluctantly takes the case. Lula, with the help of Grandma Mazur, enters the same barbequing competition Chipotle was in town to promote, hoping to lure the murderers out of hiding. Meanwhile, Ranger has recruited Stephanie to help solve a series of break-ins at properties under the protection of Rangeman Security. The inevitable sparks fly between Stephanie and Ranger, with Morelli grumbling on the sidelines. Evanovich dishes up her usual mixture of shoot-'em-up action (numerous cars explode) and quirky characters (notably a neighborhood flasher with a devoted following), but the lackluster plot will disappoint fans.

My Review:

As much as I've enjoyed Stephanie and her various adventures over the years, they've become old hat. Feel like she's on Rex's hamster wheel, spinning her wheels, going nowhere. After all this time, you'd think she would have gotten better at this whole bond enforcement agent stuff. But no, she's still the Lucille Ball of Trenton. And the Joe vs Ranger love triangle has gotten stale as well. Yes, they are both incredibly hot, sexy men who lust after that wacky Jersey girl. Ho hum. Same old, same old. Stephanie will never make up her mind which guy to choose, and she'll never get any better at her job.

In this episode, Jersey's modern day Lucy and Ethel, aka Stephanie and Lulu, have to deal with a beheaded chef, and plot to win a BBQ competition. Enter Grandma Mazer, and wacky hijinks ensue.

After all this time, I honestly expected more from Stephanie. Get better at your job already! Stop depending on Ranger to come in and help you with your captures. Stop relying on Morelli. Stop mooching off of your parents and learn how to cook! Stephanie, it's time to grow up!

One out of the many things that bothered me were all of the bodily function jokes. When did 12 year old boys become a target audience for Evanovich? Fart jokes? Is she serious?

I gave this 3 out of 5 stars because it was mildly amusing and a quick read. I'd recommend it as a beach book that doesn't require much attention and/or thought. Hoping number sixteen will be better and Stephanie will finally stop acting like a skank and pick a man. Though I'm hoping Joe and Ranger both dump her! That would put the spark back into the series!


7 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series. I don't think I'll bother. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read every one of the Stephanie Plum series. I have not read Finger Lickin' Fifteen, yet.

    I can see the points made in your Review, and can agree with them almost completely. Still, I love Janet Evanovich and hope she sees your Review and will think about SIXTEEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is the third review where a book blogger is complaining about this book. This must be a real disappointment for fans to be so upset!

    I am only on book three or four. I have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first few books in the series are really good, but my main problem with the past few books is that the characters aren't evolving in any way, shape, or form. I still like Stephanie and will probably read the next book, but I just want her to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seeing the same as J. Kaye - the reviews I've read for "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" on the blogs recently have been on the negative side of things, and this from reviewers who have been reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello all, I just finished the book and am adding my review soon, but I agree it was an ok fun read, but not that good in comparison. I really feel that her books are getting very repetitive and formulaic. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read these up until about book 9.... I cant remember which one but there was one in there that just turned me off of her reads...

    Have not followed since, however I have a couple girls in my book club that are pounding down the door to the book store whenever another book is released by Janet.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u