Just put down the book and back away slowly ... | Alexia's Books and Such: Just put down the book and back away slowly ...

“Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.” ~ Mark Twain

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just put down the book and back away slowly ...

meh @lolcats


Where is it written that once begun, you must finish the book?

If it is boring, poorly written, or has plot holes big enough to drive a truck thru, why waste your time? Typos also drive me crazy. Don't they have proofreaders and editors anymore? Yet whenever I mention that I sometimes put a book down without finishing it, people look at me like I just admitted that I kick puppies!

I usually like to read the first page of a book to make sure that it's bookshelf worthy, but sometimes that 's simply not possible when buying books online. And sometimes a story starts off strong, then peters out. Nothing is more disappointing than starting a new book, which sounded sooooo promising in the reviews, only to discover that it's not worth your time. I feel like I've been cheated, and am tempted to take the writer to court for commiting fraud!

There are so many good books out there that I don't want to waste my limited reading time on dogs. Why is that wrong?

To misquote Dorothy Parker; some books should not be tossed aside lightly, but thrown with great force!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © alexia561.blogspot.com 2009-2016 - All Rights Reserved *graphics courtesy of Google Images, Travel Mania header courtesy of Blogtemplate4u