Monday, May 25, 2009

Former bookseller blues

The thing that I miss the most about working at a bookstore is being surrounded by all of those beautiful books.

No more unpacking boxes and discovering new authors. No more receiving ARCs (advance reading copies) to fight over with my manager. *sigh* I loved ARCs. The thrill of reading a new book before anyone else. The sheer coolness factor of having an uncorrected proof. I also miss talking books with fellow book lovers, and recommending new titles. I even miss the smell of new books.

Took me a long time to be able to go into a bookstore and refrain from straightening the shelves. And I freely admit that all of my bookshelves at home are alphabetized by author's last name. At least I don't have them separated by subject.....although I do have a bookcase for my favorite books, sort of like a bestseller display. I know, I know...pathetic. But once a bookseller, always a book lover. It gets in your blood....

No comments:

Post a Comment